Koi Fish Slime Coat
A good healthy “slime coat” is vital to the health of your Koi Fish!
The slime coat covers the entire body of your koi fish acting as a “Suit of Armor”. The slime coat shields your koi fish from the deadly bacteria such as the “Aeromonas/Pseudomonas” found in all fish ponds.
Any damage to your koi fish’s slime coat can cause serious bacterial infections. Deadly koi ulcers (open body sores) are the number one result of a damaged slime coat.
How can the slime coat on my koi fish be damaged?
• Parasites bite through the slime coat to “dine” on your koi fish. When they drop off; they leave a hole in the slime coat. Opening a way for the deadly bacteria in your pond water to enter your koi’s body.
Once the bacteria enter your koi’s body it causes life threating bacterial infections.
• Sharp rocks or objects in your pond. When koi chase one another during breeding season or become scared they sometimes hit these sharp rocks and objects damaging their slime coat. Koi with parasites will Flash causing damage to your koi’s slime coat.
• Rough Handling. Netting can remove the slime coat.
What other koi fish problems can the slime coat tell me about the health of my koi?
• Slime coat that is very thick could be a sign of a heavy infestation of koi parasites
• Slime Coat is coming off of all my fish! A very good sign of a drop in your pond pH check your pH NOW to prevent a deadly pH crash!
• My koi have no slime coat, my fish feel like sandpaper. A healthy koi produces slime coat very quickly. A koi that feels like sandpaper is on the brink of death.
Attention: NEVER do a short bath treatment using high dosages of salt, potassium or formalin to remove parasites from your fish.
All this does is burn the life supporting slime coat from your fish. Quick dips like this expose your fish to all the deadly bacteria in your pond water.
There is no real reason to do a harsh “Bath” treatment like this. Plus, it’s very inhumane.
There are so many safe and humane treatments you can do to rid your koi fish from parasites without really stressing and hurting your koi fish.
What treatment can I use to help replace and heal my koi from damaged slime coat and scales?
Aqua Meds ARMOR is formulated to add an artificial protective slime coat to protect your fish from the deadly bacteria in your pond, until your fish can produce their new slime coat
Plus, ARMOR quickly repairs damaged scales caused by Flashing or injury
ARMOR also removes heavy metals, chlorine and destroys chloramines
ARMOR’S fast acting protective coating with vitamin E promotes the healing of damaged scales, skin, fins and reduces stress.